In using the CR-48 I have found I can do most things from just a browser, including:
- web-based development using the file manager in cpanel
- streaming music using subsonic on my desktop
- database development using mysql and phpmyadmin
But there are a few of things I cannot do:
- development using Visual Studio
- Microsoft SQL Server development
- distance learning with tools utilizing java
- anything hardware related requiring usb or cds/dvds
- accounting using GNUCash
A very good work around is to install ThinVNC on Windowx XP, a virtual machine in my case. ThinVNC allows you to connect in a secure manner and control Windows. It works great using ChromeOS.
It doesn't control Linux, but I find I can do most things using SSH, which is included with ChromeOS, so that's not a problem.