Well, to be fair, it wasn't their fault. It's only named because the popularity and, I assume, the computer saviness of the average user, which allowed for a massive adware infection of users' computers. Brian Krebs on WashingtonPost.com reported that an ad on MySpace and other sites distributed adware using a vulnerability in IE that Microsoft patched in January. Ok kids, once again:
As I demonstrated, the XMLHttpRequest object can be used to query a page using the get method. The object can also query a page using the post method. It is a bit more difficult as one must create the request header. Here is an example:
I've been working with some aspects of the Ajax group of technologies lately. It sounds complicated and difficult to learn, but it really isn't. It uses the XMLHttpRequest object supported by many browsers. My current development requires I code for IE and Firefox, although it seems to be functional in Netscape.
To use the XMLHttpRequest object, I put together two simple functions and put them in a file named SimpleAjax.js. Here are the functions:
Here is a neat trick for using conditional processing in a view.
I needed to create a view that contained an employee id and employee name amongst other data. The original view included two joins, but for the sake of simplicity, I have altered the view. This view uses a case statement to determine which "full name" to show, the full name using the first name or the full name using the nickname if the employee has one.
I have been doing quite a few surveys recently and one of the tasks involved is mining the responses for data. Here's a neat trick I learned for totalling and counting responses using sql rather than programmatically on the front end.
Let's say you have a table of customers (tblCustomers) that houses the name of each person and the flavor of ice cream each customer prefers:
I needed a quick tag to detect if the page the tag resided in was called using a secure URL. Unfortunately, the CGI function was not easily found, so here it is.
<cfif CGI.HTTPS EQ "off">
<cfset NewLink = "https://" & #CGI.HTTP_HOST# & #CGI.PATH_INFO#>
<cfif #CGI.QUERY_STRING# NEQ "">
<cfset NewLink = NewLink & "?" & #CGI.QUERY_STRING#>
I was tasked yesterday with writing a spell checker for an up-and-coming application. I completed the meat of the functionality today, done in sql. It's actually very acurate, pulling most words within the first 15 suggestions, but many within the first 5. It uses a table comprised of 62,070 words (a dictionary I imported from a flat file word list), which speaks to the procedure's accuracy as there are many names, cities, acronyms, etc., with the corresponding soundex values.
I know some of you have been dying for code (yeah, right) so here's a small function I made for parsing an IP address. I needed the last byte to determine if the machine calling the page was a developer's machine or not.
<cfset BegPos = 1>
<cfset EndPos = 1>
<cfset ip = #CGI.REMOTE_ADDR#>
<cfset ByteArray = ArrayNew(1)>
<cfloop index="i" from="1" to="4">
<cfset EndPos = #FIND(".", ip, BegPos)#>
<cfif EndPos GT 0>
<cfset ByteArray[i] =
I'm a software developer and database designer from Marysville WA. I have experience with 7 programming languages and am highly skilled in creating both desktop and web-based applications, although my current focus is web-based. I program daily using Coldfusion, PHP, MS SQL and MySQL, and a little AJAX. I absolutely love Linux and anyone fed up with Windows should give Ubuntu a try. I love writing, reading and working out.